Why should you drink coffee? Are there any health benefits from coffee? Well, the issue of coffee being healthy or not had been debated for a long time and just recently science had proven some useful results to help debaters come up with a factual answer.
Here are some of the reasons why you should drink coffee:
- Coffee contributes to your fiber intake. According to the journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry a cup of brewed coffee contributes about 1.8 grams of fiber from the recommended 20-38 grams daily.
- Lowers risk of Diabetes. Excluding adding too much sugar, it can lower your risk of having type 2 Diabetes. Dr. Frank Hu of the Harvard Archives of Internal Medicine’s research reveals that for each daily cup of coffee a day the risk is reduced by about 9%.
- Helps you burn fat. Yes, indeed, drink coffee and burn fat. Studies shows that caffeine boosts metabolic rate by about 3-12%. This however is said to diminish in time if you are a long coffee drinker already.
- Coffee is a good source of antioxidants. Antioxidants are known to protect the body from damage and degeneration. These work to protect molecular damage in our bodies and consist of caffeine, caffeic acid, eugenol, gamma-tocopherol, chlorogenic acids, isoeugenol, p-coumaric acid and scopoletin.
- Contains Vitamins and Minerals. You read that right. It might not be familiar but coffee provides you with Riboflavin (Vitamin B2): 11% of the RDA; Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5): 6% of the RDA; Manganese and Potassium: 3% of the RDA; and Magnesium and Niacin (B3): 2% of the RDA.
- Lowers risk of Alzheimer’s disease. Do you fear the effects of old age? Well, if you love drinking coffee then your risk to develop it is greatly reduced. The European Journal of Neurology states that considerable evidence concludes that caffeine may protect against Alzheimer’s disease.
- Fights depression. For whatever reason, a study conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health found that those who drink 4 or more cups of coffee reduces depression by 20%.
- Stronger DNA. I don’t know how they come up with this but according to a study published by the European Journal of Nutrition coffee drinkers had less instance of spontaneous DNA strand breakage. Wow! Anyway if you don’t believe us you can check the abstract here.
- Stronger heart. Drinking coffee proves to reduce risk of heart disease of course don’t drink too much. This conclusion is based on a study by Korean researchers but this again may vary as Koreans do have a typically differentdiet.
Also, drinking coffee is not only good for the health but also good for business, our blogger friends had shared us why this is so in their article about business and coffee.
Again, thanks for reading this post and please share it for it can help others too. If you want to add more health benefits of coffee just add a comment to this article.